Admissions in the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas take place on the basis of a Selection Test conducted by the CBSE. The test is called the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya Selection Test (JNVST) it is of non-verbal nature, class neutral and so designed to ensure that children from rural areas are able to compete without facing any disadvantages due to poor communication facilities in rural areas special care is taken to ensure that children from far flung rural areas get admission form free of cost without any problem. Sufficient publicity is done through Doordarshan, All India Radio, local newspapers, pamphlets, visits of Principals and teachers of Navodaya Vidyalayas to the local schools of the district.
1) A candidate appearing for the Selection Test must be studying in Class-V in a Govt./Govt. recognized school in that district where he/she is seeking admission in the just preceding academic session for which Selection Test is conducted. Actual admission in Class-Vi in the session is, however, subject to the condition of having passed Class-V before admission.
2) A candidate seeking admission must be between the age group 9-13 years on Ist May of the year of admission for which the Selection Test is conducted. This applies to all categories of candidates including those who belong to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
3) A candidate must have studied and passed Class III, IV &V from recognized school/schools in the preceding three continuous academic sessions for which the Selection Test is conducted spending one full academic session in each Class through the formal system of education, without any repetition of Class, gap and/or break in attendance.
4) A candidate who is not promoted to Class-V before November of the preceding academic year of which the test conducted is not eligible to apply.
5) No candidate is allowed to appear in the selection test for the second time under any circumstances.
6) A candidate seeking admission under the rural quota must have studied and passed III, IV & V from recognized school(s) located in the rural areas.
At least 75% of the seats in a district are filled by candidates selected from rural areas and remaining seats are filled from the urban areas of the districts. A candidate who has studied in a school located in a urban area, even for a part of a session in any of the Classes III, IV and V or passes any or more of these Classes from such a school as above is considered as an urban candidate. Urban areas are those, which are so defined in the 2011 census or in a subsequent Government notification. All other areas are considered as rural.
Reservation of seats in favour of children belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes is provided in proportion to the population in the concerned district provided that in no district, such reservation will be less than the national average (15% for SC and 7.5% for ST) but subject to a maximum of 50% for both the categories (SC & ST) taken together. These reservations are interchangeable and over and above the candidates selected under open merit. Three percent of seats are reserved for disabled children also. Efforts are made to ensure that one-third of the total seats are filled up by girls.
Exam Papers Of JNVST
|Subject||Time allowed||Weightage items|
|Mental Ability||60 Minutes||60%|
How to get an Application Form
Applications for admission may be made on the prescribed application form obtainable free of charge upto November of the year proceeding the year of seeking admission, from the following.
i. District Education Officer (DEO)/DDPI
ii.Block Education Officer (BEO)
iii. Head Master of any Govt./Govt. aided/Recognised/where he/she is studying.
iv. Principal, Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Navegaon Kahiri, Nagpur-Dist.
If you can’t get the prescribed Application Form, you may copy the format of Application Form on plain paper (preferably 21cm x 30cm) from our web site or the news paper advertisement and apply on it.
How to submit an application form
An Application Form, duly filled must reach the Block Education Officer, signed by the Head of the recognised school/ where the child is studying in class-V on or before November of the year preceding the year of seeking admission. Candidates are advised to get the acknowledgement from the BEO at the time of submission of Application Form.
Issue of Admit Cards
Admit Cards, duly prepared by the Principal, Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya will be issued to the candidates through the office of the Block Education Officer. Candidates who do not receive their Admit Cards one week before the JNVST should immediately contact Principal, JNV/BEO/DEO for the same
Result of the Selection Test.
The result of the January JNVST is expected to be announced around April/May of the year of admission. The result will be displayed in the offices of the concerned. i. Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya Notice Board
ii. Our Website.
iii. District Education Officer
iv. District Magistrate, and
v. Deputy Director, Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, Pune region.
The selected candidates will also be informed through registered post by the Principal, Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Navegaon Khairi, Nagpur-Dist. The results will also be displayed on website of Samiti at the address http:/www.nvshq.org
Selection and admission
i. Selection in the test will not vest any right on the candidates to secure admission into the JNV. At the time of seeking actual admission, each selected candidate will have to produce all relevant certificates as prescribed by the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti. Untill admission, the selection is provisional (Eighty students will be admitted in VI class every year.
ii. In case of any dispute the decision of the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti shall be final and binding on the candidate.
In order to optimally utilize the infrastructure and facilities available in Navodaya Vidyalayas it has been decided by the Samiti to fill up the vacant seats in IX class through an All India level Selection Test. The district-wise vacant seats in the Vidyalayas are separately notified in local newspapers. Application for admission in IX class can be obtained free of charge from the Principal of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya of the concerned district, Format of Application Forms can also be downloaded from the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti website www.navodaya.nic.in